The delightful little Kemp (or K) Hawk 0.2 cc sideport diesel was one of the first sub-miniature model diesels to be produced commercially in the early post-war period. It was designed by Harold Kemp and manufactured by his Kemp Engines company in Gravesend, Kent, England. It was an excellent little engine by any standard, starting and running very well indeed.
Beginning in early 1948, the sideport Hawk was manufactured in three distinct variants before being briefly replaced in May 1949 by a crankshaft front rotary valve (FRV) model which bore no resemblance at all to its predecessor. Unfortunately, the successor K Model Engineering Company which had taken over the Kemp range in mid 1948 ran into financial difficulties at this point, the result being that relatively few of the FVR models were made. This is a pity, because it is a truly excellent little engine. The K range was finally phased out in the latter part of 1950.
The full story of the Kemp (or K) Hawk may be found on Ron Chernich's "Model Engine News" (MEN) web-site.